Bierly & Rabuck is committed to protecting your adoption rights as a potential birth mother, as well as the rights and future of your baby. You can contact us with any questions that you may have about your legal rights in adoption; your legal counsel is paid for by the adoptive parents.
Here are a few of your basic adoption rights as a prospective birth mother in Pennsylvania:
- You have the right to reconsider your desire to pursue adoption for your unplanned pregnancy at any point before the baby is born.
- You have the right to reconsider your adoption decision after the baby is born during your state-mandated 72-hour waiting period. Your adoption decision does not become final until you sign the adoption consent forms that legally terminate your parental rights and the child is placed with the adoptive family.
- You have the right to petition to regain those parental rights after you give up a child for adoption before the final adoption decree is issued. Your rights may be reinstated if the court approves your request.
- You have the right to give the final word in every decision made during the adoption process, which includes your hospital and birth plan, the selection of adoptive parents, post-adoption contact plans and more.
- You have the right to alter your adoption plan details throughout your pregnancy.
- You have the right to access free adoption services, including legal counsel through Bierly & Rabuck, help finding the perfect adoptive parents, emotional counseling and support, prenatal and medical care and even financial assistance with some living expenses during your pregnancy.
- You also have the right to choose an open adoption. Birth mother rights in open adoption mean that you’re able to maintain as much or as little contact with the adoptive family and your child as you feel comfortable with before, during, and after the adoption.
Want to learn more about your legal adoption rights as a potential birth mother in the state of Pennsylvania? Bierly & Rabuck can help. Contact us now for more information.