Are you raising or providing for a child who is not legally yours? Without parental rights, it can be difficult for caretakers in these circumstances to ensure all of the child’s needs are being met.
Fortunately, the attorneys at Bierly & Rabuck can help. We have handled many seamless guardianship cases over the years, and we can provide all of the legal services, support and guidance you need when faced with the uncertainty of a guardianship decision. Our Pennsylvania guardianship services include:
– explaining the guardianship process and advising you of your rights and responsibilities as a legal guardian.
– preparing and filing necessary legal paperwork to establish the guardianship.
– arranging and representing you at a court hearing to obtain the legal guardianship.
– extending or terminating the legal guardianship.
– and more.
The process to obtain a legal guardianship can seem overwhelming or confusing at times, and our team understands that you are in unfamiliar territory. Here, learn more about guardianship in Pennsylvania, as well as the services we offer to provide you and the child you are caring for with the certainty and stability you deserve.
Benefits of Guardianship
A guardianship is typically a temporary arrangement that establishes legal custody for the child’s current caregiver. Unlike in adoption, parental rights are not terminated in guardianship; a parent can file a petition to terminate the guardianship and regain legal custody of their child at any time.
These arrangements can be beneficial to everyone involved — the guardian, the parents, and most importantly, the child.
– Guardians: Without a legal guardianship in place, caregivers have very few, if any, rights for the children they are raising. Guardianship provides these caregivers with the same legal rights and responsibilities as a parent would typically have for their child. This can help simplify everyday parenting tasks, like getting healthcare for the child and enrolling him or her in school and extracurricular activities.
– Parents: Guardianship is a temporary solution for struggling parents, many of whom turn to this option when current circumstances make it difficult for them to parent. Most parents enter into a guardianship agreement voluntarily, so they can maintain their parental rights until they are able to resume their day-to-day parenting responsibilities.
– Children: Most importantly, guardianship can provide the child with a sense of stability by placing him or her in the care of familiar friends and relatives. In many guardianship cases, the court may appoint an attorney to represent the child and ensure his or her best interests are being considered.
Often, difficult or chaotic circumstances may lead parents to seek a legal guardianship for their children. For these families, their children, and their children’s caretakers, guardianship can be a fairly simple legal process that provides the stability and peace of mind they need and deserve.
How to Become a Legal Guardian in Pennsylvania
The legal process to obtain guardianship can vary based on a number of factors, including your individual circumstances. If you are considering becoming a legal guardian for a child you care about, the first step in the process is to contact an experienced Pennsylvania guardianship attorney, like those at Bierly & Rabuck.
Our team is very familiar with the laws and procedures necessary to obtain a legal guardianship in Pennsylvania. We can guide you through each step of the guardianship process, from filing the petition with the court to arranging the hearing to obtain the legal guardianship.
To discuss your individual circumstances and your options for establishing guardianship in Pennsylvania, please contact Bierly & Rabuck to schedule a consultation.